Clarence Arthur McCann June 8, 1891 - June 2, 1947

Clarence Arthur McCann was born in Pembroke, Hants County, Nova Scotia to Arthur Frederick and Ella Jane (Carmichael) McCann. He grew up in Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.

He married Ada May Smith on July 27, 1912 in Falmouth, Nova Scotia and together they had 14 children.

In 1915, Clarence travelled to Fredericton, New Brunswick to enlist in the Canadian Expeditionary Force. He embarked for England not long after and remained overseas for almost four years. While there, he wrote many letters home. Over 100 of them survived and have been transcribed. The originals have been donated to the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa.

I offer these transcriptions to those who have ancestors who served in the Great War so they might have a glimpse of what that life was like for these men.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

June 11, 1915 - Fredericton

Dear Father, Mother, Lela, Victor:

This letter is goodbye to all.  Forty-two of us go from St. John as soon as the troop can be loaded.  There are 42 from our battery, the Ammunition Column and, I think, the 26 Regiment.  I was the first driver on the list.  I don't know how long we will be in St. John.  Probably not more than a day or two, so  you had better not write till you hear from me again.  We are bound for England.  I will have any mail on the way for me returned home or possibly they may forward it on for me.  I don't know just now but it doesn't matter.  I will get it in the end.  I am sending the grip home with some things I don't need, also the watch.  I planned to start for home tonight but these orders came very suddenly and I did not know I was going till 11:30 today; nor anyone else for that matter.

Now I am glad that I qualified for 1st place as driving, still I don't like the idea of going from you all but we will hope I come back safe and sound.  Of course, we need a lot of training yet and the war may be over before we are ready.  Now I have a lot of packing to do so this must do till next time.  You never saw a happier bunch of men than those who are going in your life.  Now I am not very demonstrative, but you have my best love - all of you.  So goodbye till you hear from me next.

Clarence

© 2010 Pamela Wile. All Rights Reserved. No reproduction without permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment