Clarence Arthur McCann June 8, 1891 - June 2, 1947

Clarence Arthur McCann was born in Pembroke, Hants County, Nova Scotia to Arthur Frederick and Ella Jane (Carmichael) McCann. He grew up in Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.

He married Ada May Smith on July 27, 1912 in Falmouth, Nova Scotia and together they had 14 children.

In 1915, Clarence travelled to Fredericton, New Brunswick to enlist in the Canadian Expeditionary Force. He embarked for England not long after and remained overseas for almost four years. While there, he wrote many letters home. Over 100 of them survived and have been transcribed. The originals have been donated to the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa.

I offer these transcriptions to those who have ancestors who served in the Great War so they might have a glimpse of what that life was like for these men.

Monday, November 1, 2010

June 1, 1915 - Fredericton

Dear Mother,

Now I got to hurry because it's nearly suppertime and I am on fatigue today.  We are still here although there are rumors in the air of us going to Sussex right away.  Some say the cars are at the station now.  I enclose a clipping of the talk the inspecting officer had with the Gleaner regarding us as a Battery.

I hope John Currie has not been killed though it may be so.  Its just as liable to be him as anyone.  Still, there may be a mistake like Arthur Warr's case.

Now I can't think of much to say, so if you want to know anything just ask me.  I am perfectly well, never felt better that I know of.  I think I will try to come home about the middle of this month if nothing prevents.

I must lay in some more writing material for I had to borrow this paper.  You will have to see each others' letters to get all the news because I hate like the deuce to write letters.  I don't think I wrote half a dozen in the last three years, but I will do the best I can and your letters will always be welcome.  They keep me in touch with home.

You have two pairs of socks that I sent home.  Please fix them up and send them to me by P.Post.  We are only issued with two pairs every six months and wearing them in rough boots they don't last long.  The toes are all gone out of mine now and have been for six weeks.

Clarence

© Copyright 2010 Pamela Wile. All Rights Reserved. No reproduction without permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment